This interview (part 1 of 2) with native New Yorker, and Berlin based artist Lynne Margaret Brown was recorded with Michael Dooney on 17. April 2019 in Berlin, Germany; coinciding with the 2019 Jarvis Dooney Postcard Salon.
LYNNE MARGARET BROWN
North to South Berliner Voices: My Corner
- http://www.lynnemargaretbrown.com/north-to-south-berliner-voices-my-corner Official Project Page
- https://www.facebook.com/MyVoiceMyCorner/ Facebook Page
- https://youtu.be/3rHmJ3lzdxM Trailer 1
- https://youtu.be/JWKsE9jEbc8 Trailer 2 "What is art for you?"
North to South Berliner Voices: My Corner: Interview Questions
- What is your name?
- Did you have a nickname? Where did it come from?
- When and where were you born? And if not Berlin where are you from?
- What is your ethnic background? Are you parents from Berlin and are they German?
If not can you please tell me where are they from?
- (if foreign) Have you ever been there (to the country of your parents)? What was that experience like?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters? Can you tell me about them?
- Can you describe what life was like for you when you were a child/growing up?
- How would you describe yourself as a child?
- What is your best memory of childhood?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- When you were a very young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What kind of music do you like?
- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- Do you like traveling? Or would you like to travel?
- If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go?
- Would you rather live in the country or in the city?
- Who in your life has influenced you the most? How did they do this?
- What are some of your major goals in life?
- If you could learn one random skill, what would you learn?
- If someone were to make a movie about your life, what actor would you want to play you?
- If you were going to write a book, what would you call it and what would it be about?
- Would you ever sky dive?
- Have you ever been in a fist fight?
- In general, what do you think about art? Or what is art for you?
- Do you think people are basically bad or basically good?
Berlin - (site specific) Questions
- What do you think is special about Berlin?
- What neighborhood are you from in Berlin? Where do you currently live in Berlin?
- Is there anything special about your neighborhood?
- What do you like about it?
- Are you working at the moment?
- Is it hard to find work in Berlin?
- What do you think about the education system in Berlin? (and) Do you think anything could be done to improve the education system?
- What are your thoughts about the refugee situation in Germany?
- Does this situation concern you? And if so how?
- Can you find anything positive this situation?
- What is the biggest problem you believe is caused by having so people arrive into Germany at one time?
- Do you vote? Why or why not? If you do vote, how do you usually vote (If open to discussion)?
- Do you follow a religion? And if so what religion is this?
- What is your favorite thing to do here Berlin?
- And finally what are your thoughts about this project/idea/interview?
Questions formulated / based lightly upon research of various current and historical questionnaires used in letter writing, interviews and story-telling projects i.e. the Proust questionnaire and StoryCorps.